First put a few songs of popular French singer Zaz in your playlist. Actor Russel Crow has already fallen madly in love with her voice and we suggest you play her music while reading on to get into the Paris mood!
You’re at this perfect spot, with the perfect group of friends, your phone’s batteries have never been in better shape and then… Can’t take a photo because your iPhones storage space has been fully used… SO rude! Here are a few ways to quickly solve this problem and save space on your iPhone for photos and videos.
If you’re really in a moment, open your Whatsapp. Open a chat with your best friend and press the upload button. Press ‘Take a Photo’ and it will allow you to take a few more photos. Continue reading
Summer holidays are around the corner 〰∇∇∇〰 and chances are you are going on some sort of trip. Today we have a super useful tutorial for any trip; we’ll show you how to create a personal travel map with Google Maps. You can keep all your hot spots – restaurants you want to visit, the place you stay at, cultural highlights – in one place. It will save you hours as you now have the shortest route between the hot spots at your fingertips.
- Go to My Maps on Google Maps
- In the search bar on the top type in the name of the city or region you will visit
- On the left hand side where it says ‘Untitled’ type in the name of your map. We named this one ‘Berlin Hot Spots’
- Now in the search bar on the top, just type in the name of the places you wish to visit. You don’t have to know the exact address, Google will automatically generate the location of your hot spot. We started with your best place to stay in Berlin, the Amstel House Hostel Berlin. Obviously ^_* Click on the location on the left and a box will open with details of the location. Click Add to Map if you are sure you want to add this as one of your hot spots.
- Repeat step 4 for all the hot spots you wish to visit.
- You can click any location on the left and alter it’s name or add a personal description by clicking the pencil.
- It’s also good to give all the hot spots ‘genres’ a different color. For instance, we made all our cultural hot spots yellow. You can even click ‘more icons’ and add icons to your locations. For instance, we picked a train for Berlin’s main train station.
- So that’s it; you’ve created your own personal map! To access it, simply go to My Maps on your phone:
Android: My Maps app
iPhone: Go to My Maps via this link (open Safari)
- All your customized maps will come up. Pick the one you want and it will also show your current location. To save data usage, preload the map and the route to hot spots you wish to visit that day while you are in the wifi zone of your accommodation. Turn 3/4G off and Google Maps will still show you where you are and what route to take all day! Reload a next route when you hit the next wifi zone.
- Enjoy your travels! You can access our Berlin Hot Spots map here.
Our marketing dream team is visiting Bali in a few weeks for ‘inspiration’ so they collected some Bali hot spots from staff, friends and guests from all over the world…. And off course the Amstel House is always happy to share …
Not the real Bali / Indonesia and more touristy by the day but still nice for a couple of days (and sooo much nicer than party tourist ghetto Kuta!). Seminyak has nice shops, clubs and restaurants.
Potatoe head: Nice food and drinks, at the beach. Pricey and touristy but cool place and nice swimming pool at the beach front.
Kudeta bar: right at the beach. Like Potatoe Head, pricey and touristy but still a good vibe and great music for a Friday night drinks or lunch with friends.
La Plancha (at Double 6): local hangout, great for after beach drinks and beach parties
Batu Bolong: perfect little down to earth beach club to wind down with some corona’s after surfing
Echo Beach: great for surfing and lunch / drinks Continue reading
Hippies to celebrities. Sun worshippers to clubbers. Ibiza is a favourite holiday destination for many. The list of local hot spots is endless but here are some of our favourite Ibiza hot spots.
FOOD & DRINKS
Around a year ago we created a list with 10 genius travel apps for you. They are still genius but we thought we’d add a new list if 10 best travel apps we found to make your travels easier, cheaper or simply more fun. With the Amstel House free wifi you can start exploring these awesome apps from the moment you arrive at the Amstel House Hostel Berlin!
1. Happy Hour Radar
Never miss a good food or drink deal in your proximity with this app. Happy Hour Radar is for Germany, but there are Happy Hour apps for the US and many other countries available in the app store.
No more packing stress. Enter your destination, the length of your trip and what activities your trip will include and PackPoint will create a personal packing check list. It even takes the weather forecast into account!
It’s been called “the baby of Instagram and Trip Advisor”. The Trover app encourages users to upload their pics and tag them to their geo location providing recommendations and tips for that spot. Use it as your own log book, create a bucket list or simply inspire others! Continue reading
When you travel to Asia or Australia chances are you have an overlap in Singapore. Instead of sticking to the usual tourist tours, we give you the top 30 insider Singapore hot spots and hidden gem tips; the very best shops, restaurants, bars and museums in town.
If the big luxury like brands like Chanel, Louis Vuitton fall outside your budget and taste, then the neighbourhoods Tiong Bahru and Little India (especially Haji Lane) offer a great solution! You will find the smaller boutique shops here and cheerful coffee and lunch hot spots. Continue reading
Less is more they say, but as much as we’ve travelled, we always end up over packing. How many times have you come home with an overweight suitcase and only worn half of it? Chances are you’re arriving in Berlin with one of the budget airlines that charge you for bringing anything but hand luggage so we thought we’d share our tips for packing light with you. And yes boys, you could learn a thing or two as well! For 10 travel tips for girls, go here. If you need a complete packing list for backbackers, go here. Continue reading
At the Amstel House our super friendly (and smoking hot!) staff are here to help you with anything from planning your trip to hot spot tips in Berlin to cooking up the best burger BBQ in town. When it comes to packing tips, we’ve already created this handy packing checklist for you, but we recently conducted an extensive survey with our smart guests at the Amstel House bar and these are their top 5 best buys for backpackers tips: Continue reading